Saturday, March 21, 2009

Getting Higher in Omaruru...

Yesterday evening we arrived in Omaruru and went directly to the airfield. Several pilots were already there with their microlights in preparation for the Microlight Association’s meeting the following morning. Mario and I unloaded the equipment which included 2 paragliders, 2 Käfige, 2 motors, some mattresses, pillows, and other sundries. While Mario was setting up the powered gliders, I took a couple of flights in the microlights of David and Nico Van Dyk from Uis. It was incredible to see Namibia from the sky, though both David and Nico noted that the landscape was extraordinarily green this year due to increased rainfall. We flew over mountains, dry riverbeds, and even Nico’s uncle’s house! On our motorcycle with wings, we soared over the lush green bush until the sun tucked under the horizon. Afterwards, we had an evening braai and a few drinks (an Appletizer and orange juice for me), chatting in a mixture of English, German, and Afrikaans. I was delighted to discover that my comprehension level had not declined over the years since my time in Tübingen.

That night, we slept in the hangar under the wing of one of the microlights, tail number V5-UEH, Schneeger in between Mario and me. I slept soundly, hovering mosquitoes notwithstanding, until daybreak when I was awoken by the sound of the hangar door opening and with it, the roar of several engines starting at once.

“Heather!!!” Nico yelled excitedly from the entrance. “Would you like to come flying still?”

Sleepy-eyed, I popped out of bed like a child on Christmas morning and ran over to grab my shoes. Five minutes later, I was wearing my goggles and adjusting my headset, preparing for take-off as 8 other pilots were doing the same.

The sun had barely crept over the horizon and the wind was completely still. After our run-up, we took off into the frozen wind, leaving a trail of dust behind us, and lifted off into the sky. As we climbed, the air became significantly warmer and I was able to relax into my chair a bit more. Being so high again for the third time in just 12 hours was incredible. I half-thought I was still dreaming next to Schneeger in my sleeping bag; I was so happy at that moment, well I still am! Flight is such a marvelous thing, especially with the freedom of being in a microlight or under a paraglider wing.

We landed and were transported by a covered shuttle to a rather large colonial-style house for coffee and breakfast. Afterwards, we returned for the meeting, which I admittedly skipped in favour of writing and resting. Mario and I are planning on travelling to Swakop this evening in order to return to the dune tomorrow morning to sail over the foggy sands once more. Our hope is to be able to continue to do so each day until the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment