Sunday, March 9, 2008

Friendship

I am hoping that the constant attention and bombardment of requests that comes with being the Mzungu newcomer will wane with time. I really enjoy meeting new people and interacting with other cultures; however, the inherent power dynamic that exists between an expatriate FORGE staff member and a refugee makes me feel very uncomfortable at times. By default, I have to close up and remain somewhat formal because of my position.

I would like to make friends with whom to share anecdotes, feelings, afternoons, meals, and so forth but I get this overwhelming feeling that many people are disingenuous with their reasoning for approaching me -- be it money, a favour, a ticket to the USA, and other things that I cannot provide. Because of this, I often find that my role is to act as a 'nay-sayer.' No, I don't understand. No, I cannot give you money, and so on. A very small minority of people have really strived to cultivate a genuine friendship with me, including C-, Mrs. H. and Charles.

I truly appreciate the respect and care that they have given me since I came to Kala Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment