Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Rotting Stench of Sorghum

Lately, I have been tending to spend much of my time criticising myself for not being where I want to be with my languages, projects, and other endeavors. At the same time, I can never find enough time in the day to fit everything in -- practise this, straighten up that. I find myself sitting and worrying about things that 'will' happen, but haven't. I often do everything but the doing itself!

The ride home from the office is plagued by the stench of rotting sorghum -- a remnant of the last World Vision rations distribution, which was contemptiously dumped on the ground by several refugee recipients. The scent lingers, in fact, intensifies by each coming day. Ironically, the same substance considered too repulsive to receive as food is used in other regions of Africa as a key fermenting agent in their beloved (and equally as potent) banana beer.

Fatigued and a bit on edge, as often is the case.

Dealing, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment