Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Opening Up

I have successfully created a mini-phrase book of Bemba words with the help of my friends Joe and Sydney in the UNHCR cantine. I am starting to understand conversations around me (not always to my delight...) I am seeing definite progress, however small. Things are becoming better.

The focus of my attention is on not pushing, not pulling. I am opening up, talking to others, networking, not relying on distant connections, and not running away from 'problem relationships' within the camp and in Kawambwa. Remember: It is the sides of a mountain which sustain life, not the top. Things are far from ideal but, yes, they are slowly improving!


The ride into Kawambwa this morning was phenomenal. It was so refreshing to ride through the Zambian countryside on a cool, sunny day on the back of an open truck bed, clinging on for dear life, wind and dust blowing about, seeing the people in the passing villages waving and smiling, feeling free...

Right now, I'm smiling back to my former self waiting at the airport office with my application to FORGE in hand, wishing I were outside enjoying the vast, open skies. I am here!


No comments:

Post a Comment