Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On Cross-Cultural Friendships

Living here has caused me to notice group dynamics and how they continually shift and change. In some groups, people open up, laugh, smile, and contribute. In others, they sit quietly, shyly, and awkwardly to where it becomes apparent that they do not consider themselves a true participant, or are unable to make themselves one.

The factors which determine a person's reaction to a group are largely lingual and cultural. If you are introduced to a completely new culture, you are bound to feel like an outsider unless there is some other ground upon which you can transcend these barriers and connect to the group. This is why people with an especially joyful disposition and open mind (or a love for soccer, haha...) are likely to find it easier to dive into a group with a new culture and language.

Of course, humour has always been the universal ice-breaker and should not be underestimated for its ability to initiate conversation. Nonetheless, many find the aforementioned barriers insurmountable and never reach the level of intimacy with the group that they would like.

As someone from a different socio-economic background and a non-Bemba/Kiswahiki speaker, I often find a large gap between my typical (or feasible!) topics of discussion and those of a refugee. My circumstances can isolate me and make it difficult for me to determine exactly where I would fit into Congolese/Zambian society. Many of my relationships here feel superficial, strained, or contrived as a result.


One another note, an interesting quote from a co-worker from earlier today: "I don't blame anybody else because then I would have to also blame myself for not doing everything I could to fix this..." It's food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment